The light energy is absorbed by melanin in the hair strands and is converted to heat. The heat then destroys the hair follicles, preventing hair from being formed in the damaged follicle. As not all follicles are in a growth cycle at the same time it takes multiple treatments to deactivate the majority of follicles in the treatment area.
The best results are achieved with darker hair on fair to medium skin tones. Blond and grey hairs can also be treated, as can medium to dark skin tones.
At your initial consultation, your therapist will perform a patch test to determine how your skin will react to the treatment. You will be advised to shave the treatment area prior to your appointment, as protruding hairs can cause superficial burns on the skin during the IPL treatment.
- Discontinue sun exposure at least 4 weeks prior to the treatment.
- Do not use fake tan products for at least 1-2 weeks prior to the treatment
- Use a SPF 30 sunscreen daily.
- Do not wax, tweeze or pluck the hairs for at least 4 weeks prior to the treatment
- If you have a history of herpes in or close to the area being treated, it is recommended that you take an antiviral medication prior to the treatment.
- You may feel a sunburn-like sensation for 6-12 hours after the treatment. Apply a cold compress or ice to the area if this becomes uncomfortable
- Do not use very hot water for your shower or bath for 2 days after your treatment, as your skin can be temperature sensitive
- Use a SPF 30 sunscreen daily and protect the treatment area from direct sun exposure
- Do not exfoliate your skin for 1 week after the treatment
- Refrain from exercising for 8-12 hours after treatment.